‘Gunners Cottage’ is located in the centre of the Car Park that is the last point to which private vehicles and buses can travel within the Point Nepean National Park. It is the point from which many set out from to hike, cycle or catch the shuttle bus to very tip of the Mornington Peninsula – where one can witness the treacherous waters of ‘The Rip’.
Little is known about the history of ‘Gunners Cottage’, apart from the fact it housed many military personnel and their families, and, it is understood that it once stood near Fort Pearce and had been relocated to its current position sometime during the latter half of last century. It’s original location would suggest it’s build date could be within the same era as ‘Fort Pearce’ ?
Today, it serves as an Information Centre for those that come to explore and enjoy this magnificent National Park.
– Located approximately 3.4 km from the Portsea Town Centre – obtain Directions here
– Located within Point Nepean National Park
– Car park provides access to:
– ‘Coles Track‘ (walking)
– ‘Walter Pisterman Heritage Walk‘ (walking)
– Defence Road (walking, riding, shuttle bus)
– Parking Specifications:
– for standard vehicles
– first in best dressed basis (busy during peak periods)
– car parks are unmarked
– surface is primarily unsealed (dirt)
– Adjacent to ‘Gunners Cottage’
– Facilities available at Portsea include:
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.