Points of Interest Category: Place of Worship, Community | Public Space, Historical POI's 1881-1900, Historical, and Site | ReligiousPoints of Interest Tags: Bellarine Peninsula and Church - Bellarine Peninsula
St John’s Anglican Church located in Portarlington, Victoria, was designed in the Victorian Gothic style by Melbourne architects Terry and Oakden. Following the donation of a half acre block of land, situated on a corner site, by James Austin, the brick building was commissioned and constructed by local builders Treven and Gubby. The foundation stone was laid on the 17th September 1883.
The building features a high pitch gable roof running east-west, clad in slate, with plain barge boards on the gable ends, and a tall slate clad bellcote, with a spire and cross at the apex, two angled building buttresses to the east elevation, and pointed arch motif windows with white painted window sills and buttress cappings.
The north elevation has two pairs of two light windows, and a slate roofed gable entrance porch with a pointed arch motif timber door, window, and plain barge-boards. To the north east is a newer extension in brown brick, with a corrugated metal clad gable roof.
The west elevation features a large three-light stained glass window, and plain timber barge boards.
An elaborate ceremony was held with the Dean of Melbourne, the Reverend Dean McCartney in attendance and an audience of 200 spectators present. The newspaper account of the occasion recounts that a bottle was placed in the cavity of the stone containing a copy of the ‘Geelong Advertiser’, the ‘Geelong Times’ and the ‘Melbourne Daily Telegraph’ of that day and a scroll on parchment with an inscription describing the laying of the foundation stone officially. The church committee was listed as F. Willey, T. Brown, E. Harvey, J. Leigh, J. Dabinett, F. Shepherd, E. Capron and E. Huxtable (Secretary).
The first vicar was Reverend George Bishop who stayed for 6 years until 1889. Reverend Thomas Quinton followed until 1904 after which there were 7 different vicars over the next 10 years. Reverend Frederick Lewin took over in 1916 and except for 1923 when Reverend Crigan was in charge, was to remain until 1933. Reverend Lewin was the longest serving vicar of St. John’s.
The north elevation has two pairs of two-light windows, and a slate roofed gable entrance porch with a pointed arch motif timber door, window, and plain barge-boards. To the north east is a newer extension in brown brick, with a corrugated metal clad gable roof.
Why not consider our Affiliate Program to help support your funding efforts ?? . . .
– Close proximity to Town Centre – obtain Directions here
– Car Parking available along Brown & Fenwick Streets
– Other Community & Public Spaces POI’s in Portarlington
– Nearby Features:
– Facilities available at Portarlington
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Sealed Road