Located in Portarlington, Victoria, the Seaview Hotel was built c 1855 by Mr Duncan McKenzie.
The historic hotel is perfectly positioned on an elevated hillside, directly in line with, and overlooking the Portarlington Pier. It enjoys the most outstanding and magnificent views of the pier, marina, Port Phillip Bay – all the way across to Melbourne in the distance.
Portarlington’s Sea Baths were a huge attraction in those early years. The original structure features a weatherboard building of Victorian Rustic Gothic design, a slate roof, distinctive finials and chimney. From the 1850’s to 1886 it is reported to have been owned and run by John Calhoun, licensee, as ‘Calhoun’s Family Hotel’.
It was extended to the rear of the original building in 1878 by builders Trevena & Gubby using ‘Portarlington’ bricks made just a few 100 metres away at the Portarlington Mill.
Duke of Edinburgh
Miller’s Family Hotel
From the mid 1900’s it appears to have housed many, and varied, operations . . .
The building can only be viewed from the roadside as it is currently not open to the general public.
– Close proximity to Town Centre – obtain Directions here
– Car Parking available along Newcombe Street
– Other Historical POI’s in Portarlington
– Facilities available at Portarlington
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
- Sealed Road