The ‘Ideraway Run’ was procured by J.B. Reid in 1848. The original site of the homestead was some 6.5 km from Gayndah, in Queensland’s Upper Burnett region – as indicated on the map below. It is difficult to fathom how large these selections were, in a time of bullock, horse and cart . . .
The Homestead is estimated at a build date c 1870.
The Homestead has been relocated to Gayndah’s Historical Museum precinct and is in the process of being restored. It is wonderful to see that this remnant of one of the very first European pioneers and settlers has been preserved for future generations to perhaps learn a little of Australia’s humblest of beginnings – which was not that long ago . . .
Below are some interesting historical snippets into, and, about the property. . .
” . . . “Ideraway” in 1848 by J. B. Reid, who sold to J. J. Caldwell . . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The History of Queensland: Its People & Industries’ – by Matthew J Fox – published 1923 – pp 294
” . . . The next day he [Thomas Archer] came on the camp of Mr. James Reid, also on his way to the Burnett district where he had explored and applied for a run he call Ideraway.
It was James Reid who gave his name to Reid’s Creek . . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The Discovery, Exploration & Early Settlement of the Upper Burnett’ – by Mr HS Bloxsome, Delubra, Mundubbera – read 25th August 1942 – pp 335-336
” . . . After spending a few hours in Gayndah we cross the Burnett River to the north side, and proceed for about four miles to the homestead of Ideraway. In crossing the Burnett River we unfortunately got a little beyond our depth, the water coming into the buggy, wetting our luggage and spoiling some of our photographic plates, notwithstanding my companion’s protestations to the contrary before we crossed the ford. Ideraway, which is now owned by Mr. J. J. Cadell, was taken up, we were given to understand, at about the same time as Booubyjan and the other station properties referred to. Mr. Cadell came into possession in the year 1870. For some years Mr. Cadell was member for the district in the Legislative Assembly. Probably Ideraway was at one time one of the best station properties in the Burnett district. Large portions of it have been resumed during later years and settled upon by small holders. The property now contains 6946 acres of freehold, and 31¼ miles of leasehold, the lease of which expires in the year 1908. Another portion has been resumed lately, containing 11½ square miles. This area, which is very fine land, will be available shortly for selection.
The morning after our arrival at Ideraway, Mr. Cadell provides a vehicle, and we set out on a tour of inspection. On resumed portions of Ideraway we come to several farm houses along what is known as Reid’s Creek. There is here as good agricultural land as could be found in the State . . . “
” . . . From this selection to the head station of Ideraway we pass through some exceedingly fine country belonging to the leasehold of Ideraway. This portion of the run presents a grand landscape. The grass is of extraordinary growth, and the pretty green foliage of the apple trees standing at regular intervals over the gently-undulating land gives a cheerful, park-like appearance. There are over 7500 acres in this part of the holding to be thrown open for selection four years hence, and it would be difficult to surpass this land for agricultural or dairy farms. It is a class of country that is very valuable, as it does not require any improvement for grazing purposes beyond the necessary fences. There is just sufficient timber to provide shade for the stock, and no ringbarking is required. Since the days when sheep were run on Ideraway cattle have been the chief industry. Horse-breeding has been pursued also with success, the Ideraway brand being well and favourably known. The estate is well improved, and Mr. Cadell has been fortunate in securing as a freehold a fine tract of country with a frontage to the Mary River. We here have another of the typical homesteads which are so closely identified with the early history of squatting in the Burnett district. Mr. Cadell had done a deal of general farming at Ideraway, almost every agricultural product being raised. We noticed some good poultry of the various.kinds, which showed that there is an industry in this which could be fostered to advantage . . . “
Source: Excerpts – ‘The Queenslander’ – Article ‘Sketcher – Round about Gayndah’ – published 26th March 1904
– Close proximity to Town Centre – obtain Directions here
– Parking available along Capper & Simon Streets
– Other Historical POI’s in Gayndah
– Nearby Features:
– Facilities available at Gayndah
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
- Sealed Road