Originally located some 4 km West of Ban Ban Springs, on the western banks of Barambah Creek, the ‘Ban Ban’ Homestead is estimated at a build date c 1860. It was relocated to Gayndah’s Historical Precinct in 1975.
Beautifully restored and set amidst other historical properties of the town and region, the homestead provides and insight into the lifestyle, hopes and dreams of our first European settlers, as they discovered and claimed their runs . . .
The ‘Ban Ban’ run was originally selected by Mr. Henry Herbert c 1846. The following excerpt could suggest that a homestead was in existence by the 1st June 1848 . . .
” . . . The next night [1st June 1848] they [the Archer Brothers] camped on Barambah Creek within 1½ miles of Ban Ban head station then owned by Humphries and Herbert, the farthest out station at that time . . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The Discovery, Exploration & Early Settlement of the Upper Burnett’ – by Mr HS Bloxsome, Delubra, Mundubbera – read 25th August 1942 – pp 340-341
Below are some interesting historical snippets into, and, about the property. . .
” . . . Ban Ban. – On the Barambah, 12 miles from Gayndah. Occupied in 1846 by Messrs. Herbert, and subsequently by John Edwards and St. John. Several murders committed here on shepherds in 1852 . . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The History of Maryborough and Wide Bay and Burnett Districts – from the Year 1850 to 1895’ – by George E. Loyau – published 1897 – pp 138-139
” . . . In 1908 Mr. Angus Gordon acquired the grazing homestead “Wyroona,” formerly a portion of the “Ban Ban” Station area, and comprising 6,500 acres of undulating country, upon which he commenced operation on his own account . . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The History of Queensland: Its People & Industries’ – by Matthew J Fox – published c 1923 – pp 905
” . . . In 1912 Mr. Laurence Smith acquired the whole of the interests in the estate which formerly had been held by other members of the family, thus becoming sole proprietor, and having attained to this position, in the same year he took up 8,000 acres of grazing and agricultural farms on the old “Ban Ban” run, some 25 or 30 miles distant, which is know as “Glen Ronald.” Like “Mount Joseph,” this country is also well fenced and provided with dips and stockyards. . . “
Source: Excerpt – ‘The History of Queensland: Its People & Industries’ – by Matthew J Fox – published c 1923 – pp 310
– Close proximity to Town Centre – obtain Directions here
– Parking available along Capper & Simon Streets
– Other Historical POI’s in Gayndah
– Nearby Features:
– Facilities available at Gayndah
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
- Sealed Road