- Aus Shipping, Australia, Historical POI - Central VIC, National Shipping, Shipping - Victoria, The Steamers of Port Phillip Bay, VictoriaThough two settlements previously attempted on the southern shores of Victoria had failed - one at Sorrento and the other at Corinella, it was John Batman's voyage of exploration of Port Phillip in the May and June of 1835, that saw people flock to the new found land, incredibly hastily and totally unchecked. Not two months would pass before people and their belongings began flocking in...1835
- Aus Shipping, International Shipping, Shipping - Victoria, The Steamers of Port Phillip Bay, VictoriaOne of the earliest, if not the first, passenger vessel which arrived in Port Phillip was the ship 'John Barry,' from Sydney, which cast anchor in Hobson's Bay, on 1st March 1839, after a fine run of 10 days. She conveyed to this colony a large number of passengers, including Dr. Patterson, the first Immigration Agent here. A few weeks prior to this, a large number of emigrants had arrived in New South Wales, which caused employment to be very scarce; and, as the new settlement at Port Phillip was opening up then, the Government offered a free passage to any who wished to try their fortunes there...1840
- The PS 'Aphrasia' was the first steamer to service the run between Melbourne and Geelong - commencing in the latter half of 1841. She would serve the 'Port Phillip' community faithfully during a time when the settlement was still in its infancy, when roads and jetties barely served their names - for some 20+ years she transported cargo, passengers, mail, bank parcels, assisted ships in trouble...
Visit Full Post1841
- One bright sunny morning we took our passage on board the Vesta steamboat at Melbourne for Geelong. This vessel is a small iron boat, having two engines, each of fifteen-horse power; she was imported from England upwards of twelve years ago, and was brought to the colony in pieces. This little vessel is well commanded by Captain Wetheridge, and has every comfort and convenience on board that the most fastidious passenger could wish for, and would bear comparison with the best river-boats in the United Kingdom...
Visit Full Post1842
- Aus Shipping, Australia, Coastal Runs - QLD, Coastal Runs - VIC, International Shipping, Queensland, Shipping - Queensland, Shipping - Victoria, The Steamers of Port Phillip Bay, VictoriaThe SS 'Edina' is one of the most remembered vessels that plied the waters of Port Phillip Bay. Often referred to as the 'Old Lady of Port Phillip', she became the longest serving Screw Steamer in the World. Her active service included the North Sea Trade, 2 wars, Victoria's West Coast Run, New Zealand to Melbourne, Queensland Coastal Trade, and Port Phillip Bay Runs from 1880 to 1938...1854
May 10, 1835February 7, 1840October 21, 1841May 1, 1842May 7, 1854
Still can’t find what you are looking for ???
Search POI Australia
*** Please note that if the exact date is not known, the timeline post date will default to the mid of the relevant month or year, and the closest available day thereafter.